RHS Campaign for School Gardening
Awarding body: RHS
Description of award:
The RHS Campaign for School Gardening inspires and supports schools to provide children with gardening opportunities to enhance their skills and boost their development.
Our work with schools has shown that the direct benefits of gardening for children are wide-ranging:
- Improves physical and mental well-being
- Builds life skills such as confidence, teamwork, and communication
- Enhances literacy, numeracy, and oracy skills
- Enriches the entire curriculum from science, maths, and geography, to art, design, and languages
- Encourages a better and healthier lifestyle
- Teaches about the environment and sustainability
- Helps young people engage with their surroundings better and develop a sense of responsibility
How does the whole school contribute to the award?
All classes are timetabled for gardening lessons in which they complete a variety of activities and projects that link with different curricula and awards such as Eco-schools and the RHS School Gardening Award.
Milestones/achievements from the award:
- 2020: Level 3
- 2019: Level 2
- 2018: Level 1
Length of time school has had the award: